Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Catchup 2 (Day 36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43)

Day 36

Sore as shit from running half marathon then riding on plane for 5 hours... day off.

Day 37

Still sore but hiked 8 miles including 5 mile hike to top of Lassen Peak... Elevation was kicking my ass... not sure if it was asthma related, had something to do with recovering from half marathon or if it was just normal for 10,000 ft elevation.

Day 38

Distance: 5.0 miles
Duration: 43:54
Pace: 8:47
HR Avg/Max: 151/175
notes:

first run after half marathon... legs are starting to feel better. Natalie's aunt is a certified massage therapist and gave me an awesome massage which helped a lot. Course was pretty hilly and it was 106 degrees outside!!! Dry heat though, not humid like in Illinois.

Day 39

Distance: 3.0 miles
Duration: 25:45
Pace: 8:35
HR Avg/Max: 144/171
notes:

nice easy run around the gated community in Cottonwood, California. Heat still in the hundreds.

Day 40

Rest

Day 41

Distance: 3.29
Duration: 32:14
Pace: 9:47
HR Avg/Max: 147/173
notes:

Running at Natalie's Grandma's house in Hidden Valley, California. Natalie's Grandma lives on a hill overlooking a lake in a valley... first I ran up the hill, then I ran down which was murder on my still recovering legs. I ran down to the lake hoping to find some flat area but no luck... I started to run back up and decided to call it quits at the 3.29 point. It's still over 100 degrees here and I've been breaking out in a heat rash. Natalie's family doesn't have air conditioning so no relief there... 9:47 pace and I'm still getting my ass kicked!!!

Day 42

Distance: 9.0 miles
Duration: 1:17:22
Pace: 8:36
HR Avg: 155ish
notes:

103 degrees today in Sacramento so there's no way I'm running the 9 miles outside. I opt for the treadmill at the Holiday Inn express. I usually hate treadmill running but this is the lesser of two evils. I set the treadmill to 7.0 mph pace and the incline to 1% and let it rip. It was hard at first. I'm always paranoid about falling off the back of the treadmill so I am always running way up at the top which means my arms hit the handles when I run so I have to hold my arms real high which is uncomfortable. After a couple miles I finally started to get used to it and relaxed. It was still pretty hot inside and I was sweating my ass off. About 20 minutes in, some guy came in to use the other treadmill. I walked for about 10 minutes and then sped it up to a faster paced walk. After another 10 minutes he slowed back down and walked for another 5. Meanwhile I was running away at the treadmill next to him and sweating my ass off. I was soaked! I was flipping sweat all over the machine and floor. I can only imagine what this guy was thinking... then again he was a younger (35ish) skinny guy so no excuse for going to the exercise room just to walk.

Day 43

Woke up at 4 and travelled all day... otherwise, day of rest

No comments:

Post a Comment