Saturday, June 20, 2009

Day 13













Ran Steamboat Classic today (15K)... 

Distance: 9.3 miles
Time: 1:12:42
Pace: 7:49 pace
HR Avg/Max: 164/190
notes:

Ran the first 2 miles at an 8:30 pace.  After that we entered the Glen Oak park which was the start of a steep hill.  I took the hill at a good clip and began to pick up my pace passing the 5K at 26:10 ... I took the second 5K faster running at 24:20 and crossing the 10K at 50:34... then I really picked it up and ran the last 5K in 22:29 with a strong kick at the end taking my heart rate up to 190.  I felt good for most of the race but my calves felt tight for the last 2 miles.

I really enjoyed the race strategy of going out slower because it helped me warm up and also I was able to pass people the whole race. It also kept me from going all out and overdoing it on what was technically supposed to be long slow distance.  I hope to use this strategy for my half-marathon in a few weeks.

Also, I noticed that when I took Gatoraid at the 4 mile mark it really hit my stomach hard.  I'd like to be able to drink Gatoraid during the race so I think I'll start training by drinking it during my long runs.

_____________________________________________

About an hour after the race I started having really bad cramping in my intestines.  This continued all day and into the night.  I found myself on the toilet about a dozen times.  Not sure what the source was.  It could have been the gatoraid during the race, a recovery drink I had after the race, the beer I drank after the race, the increased distance and intensity of the run, the fact that I spent the last several days in the hot sun, or a combination of all of the above.


No comments:

Post a Comment