Thursday, June 11, 2009

Day 4

Today is the day of rest... I feel pretty good, but am glad to get a day off in preparation for the 13 miles I'll run over the next two days...  

In a attempt to maximize my training efficiency I found an interesting site about heart rate training . It discusses the different heart rate zones and how to incorporate them into training.  Based on this page and using a estimated max heart rate of 193 I put my zones to be as follows.

Zone 1 (less then 70% of max) = less then 135 BPM
Zone 2 (70-80% of max) = 135 - 155 BPM
Zone 3 (80-87% of max) = 155 - 168 BPM (marathon pace)
Zone 4 (87-90% of max) = 168 - 174  BPM
Zone 5 (90-95% of max) = 174 - 183  BPM (5k pace) 

The advice given was to stay away from zone 2 because its not fast enough to help your fitness or increase your anaerobic threshold but its also too fast to allow you ample recovery from your harder training.  In the end its basically just inviting injury.

 Also, it advises to put in most of your miles in zone 1 so that you can strengthen your ligaments and tendons while still allowing your body to recover.  Then make sure your hard days are in Zone 3 while making the occasional breach into zone 4.    Makes since to me... the true question is whether or not I can slow myself down enough on the easy days.

I guess the lesson here is that I need to slow down even more for now, except on my hard days.  

Tomorrow's supposed to be a race pace so I won't worry about it, but it will be a good goal to keep my heart rate under 135 on my 8 miler Saturday... I guess I'll be shooting for more like 9 minute miles or so?
_______________________________________________________

Still, had to do something though so I went to the gym for a really easy workout.

15 pullups 
25 dips
10 chin ups 
20 dips
30 shoulder raise 10 lb dumbells
10 barbell upright rows 80 lbs
20 curls 15 lbs

got a decent pump but didn't push anything to failure... just want to maintain for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment