Monday, June 8, 2009

Day0

Just wanted to start a blog to publish my marathon training.  My name is Ethan Zeman and I'm planning on running the Chicago Marathon on October 11, 2009 with my good friends Robbie and Symoans.  

We all ran x-country in high school and always considered ourselves "runners".  However, since high school most of us have been doing a lot more considering than actually running. 

Now at the ripe old age of 30 we plan on re-establishing ourselves to the rest of the world as the runners we've always been by completing the Chicago marathon.

I've been training for about the last 6 months.  During this period I did a lot of weight lifting, biking, and even a little bit of running averaging about 6 miles a week.  During this period I've gotten my share of results but have also learned a lot more about my limitations.  I've come to realize that I'm not running in the same body as I was in high school (12+ years, 30+ lbs...).  I've learned that it takes my body longer to recover than it used too and that I'm a lot more injury prone.  I've also learned how to manage injuries and what actions to take to minimize my risks.

We are now 18 weeks out from Marathon day and the true training begins.  I am planning on primarily following Hal Higdon's Intermediate I  marathon training program.  However, I also plan on making modifications to this program based on how my body is responding.  I may replace a day of running with a day of crosstraining or even with a day of rest if I feel like my body needs it because I realize that the most important part of my training is to not allow myself to get injured! 

Also, we plan on running several races before the marathon which I will work into the training schedule.  One of these races is the Steamboat Classic 15k in Peoria on June 20th, while the other is the Jokers Run Wild Half Marathon in St. Louis on July 10th.  We hope to use the race times of the latter to qualify for an improved start corral at the Chicago marathon (since there could be upwards of 40,000 people running)!

I've started this blog to help document my training, share my training with my fellow trainees, and to keep myself accountable!  Hopefully, I'll see you foolz at the finish line!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment