Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Day 86

Goddamn... today was the work out to end all work outs (hopefully not literally)

Distance: 10 miles
Duration: 1:23:09
Pace: 8:19
HR Avg/Max: 149/179
notes:
Decided to do a little extra hill work today so I ran down to the Springdale cemetery down near the river. It was a 3 mile run to get there and I took those first three miles pretty easy. From there the madness began. I ran to the first big hill and sprinted up it which took about a minute and pushed my heart rate up to 177. I slowed the pace for recovery and did a mile loop through the cemetery getting my heart rate back to 134 before I got back to the hill again and sprinted up it again, this time taking my heart rate to 179. Again I recovered and decided it was time to head back home. Leaving the cemetery required that I climb another big hill so I sprinted up that one, again pushing my heart rate to 177.

For the three miles home I decided to do some fartleks. I did 4 1 minute fartleks at 5:30 mile pace taking my heart rate up to 177,178,177,& 177. Finally I was approaching home. At this point I had done 9.4 miles so I figured I might as well do a bit of a cool down and make it an even 10. I ran a extra loop with tired dead legs and arrived home half dead.

I downed a protein shake and jumped in the ice bath. Then I crashed out on the futon for 2 hours and had one of the best naps of my running career.

I'm still a bit groggy but I'm feeling alright. My achilles are a bit sore from the speed but the shin pain is pretty negligible! Tomorrow will have to be a recovery day for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment